Thursday, January 6, 2011

Confessions on Leadership

Today I realize a misconception I have about leadership. There is a part of me that only believes I am valuable in my role as a leader if I am leading a certain 'caliber' of people. That if you put me in the position to lead a country, boy am I a leader!!! But if you ask me to lead a team of overnight stockers at Walmart, ok, whatever, sure.

But what is leadership? It is the opportunity to impact, elevate and empower the lives around us.  It is our chance to be an example that inspires change. We can invest and care, sincerely.  And any life is worth it.


You see, if I were to lead a team of stockers, I would have the opportunity to teach them more than the most efficient way to replenish items on shelves.  Our lives extend into our jobs, and there is always something meaningful going on.  

What's beautiful and a bit suspenseful is that a lot of the time we don't choose who we are going to lead.  We may be positioned somewhere, but people still have the choice to value and take to heart what we do or say.  Often times, we are chosen. And I think that whether it's our little sister or our entire community, it is leadership just the same. And we ought to value our roles of leadership in other people's lives, no matter who they are.



2 comments:

David said...

Well said Rosie!
Leadership is influence at it's basic level.
We have opportunity to influence anywhere, to add value to a person group family or environment.
The best leaders take every opportunity to unleash change.

Thnx for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rosie,

Very wise words! I want more people to believe in these simple but true ideas. You're a giant in spirit and you shine bright. I'm thankful that you are courageous enough to put it out there.

Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts!

Nat