Friday, October 1, 2010

Birthday Request

It's my birthday today, and I am now 26.  Since today is about me!!!, I have a request.  Let me explain.

I have this friend named Michael Muniz, who I met while living in Los Angeles a few years ago.  We used to talk about our aspirations, both of us wondering what we'd make of our lives in the future.  He was about to finish his Master's degree and, well, I was jumping in pools all over the world.  Today, I'm happy to say that Michael has figured it out (and, yes, I'm still jumping in pools).

Michael is the General Manager for Generosity Water, a non-profit organization that builds clean-water wells in third-world countries.  The truth is, one billion people don't have access to clean water, and a child dies every fifteen seconds due to water-related illnesses.  (Just stop and think about that for a sec!!!)  In the past two years, however, Generosity Water has built over 120 wells (151 are currently funded) in 15 different countries, and the impact is amazing!  And tangible!  Michael has traveled afar to see some wells and the changes they've brought to entire communities.

Michael and a sustainable, clean-water well in Uganda!

So, my request: What I want for my birthday is for 24 people to join me in raising the money to fund a well in Liberia, the second poorest country in the world.  If we each give $10 a week for three months, we can raise $3,000!  It starts this month and culminates on December 25th, Chrismas day!

In case your inner skeptic has come out to play, I wanted to tell you that Generosity Water is legit!  A bunch of celebrities are on board.  And the process of donation-to-completion is fully explainable.





I know the problems in the world seem really overwhelming, and sometimes it's easier to turn a blind eye to it all.  But here is a way that we can understand and measure a difference we'll make.  No one is expected to do everything, but we can do something.

And once we do, it'll be exhilarating!!!  And we'll get video footage.  And I'm going to throw an epic party.

Who's up?  I need 24 friends to be crazy enough to think they can change the world with me.

Here is a link to our profile page, more information, and where we can keep track of how we're doing.  I just donated my dough for October, so add your name!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Oh Rosie, you are so selfless. Gearing up for my birthday, I'm thinking clothes and ipods... That's why you're you. Sorry I missed your Bday. It seems that I always do that. I love you, though.

Rosanna Tomiuk said...

Steph... Mother=selfless. Twenty-something-without-child=selfish! Your birthday is so soon! I love you, too!